Wednesday, May 6, 2009

trying a little something new.... ish

So my little middle lady has had a tough time finding her way through this wonky world and I have had my ups and downs trying to figure out things that would help her the best I can.... It has been 7 years and no solution seems to be a fit, but here I am re-visiting things of old which did not work for us in the past, but I have a renewed outlook and hoping a new change of diet will help a little for her. She is such a picky eater anyhow, but I can try to work my mommy magic on her! ;)
So there is a bakery in New York called "Baby Cakes" it is an Allergy free bakery. The owner has been featured in Martha Stewart's magazine and on her show. As you guys know, I try to be more healthful, as much as a normal person can without going into the full blown tree huggin hippie heritage I have running through my bones, so this is hard for me as I love to mix bought and home made things. And getting my husband on board will have to be by blind tasting first before he knows the difference.

http://www.babycakesnyc.com/

Anyhow, I am going to list a few substitutions for baking Allergy free and then post pictures from my first (blind) taste test. I will also be buying a few highly recommended books and posting about those if this is a success.
I tried a diet called the Feingold diet before which did not work other than to annoy my family, but this is different than that a little and after finding these yummy treats from Baby Cakes, I am hopeful to find something that will pass the sweet tooth test (my husband and I have one true vice, chocolate!)
Don't think I am off my rocker just yet, I am as big of a sceptic as they come, so you will be hearing what I really think about this stuff, but I have read really great reviews about this stuff, so we will see.


*****************************************************************************************
SUBSTITUTIONS:
Cow's milk can be substituted part-for-part by rice milk or soy milk
- Instead of eggs, you can use 3 tablespoons of applesauce for each egg
- You can substitute sugar with agave nectar, which comes from a cactus and can be found in your organic supermarket
- Use 2/3 cup agave nectar per 1 cup of sugar

(I have personally used coconut oil for all my baking for a while- she uses both canola oil and coconut as well... I remain a fan of the coconut as you can use it not only for baking, but put it in a separate jar or mason jar for lip moisturizer or a mild non greasy body moisturizer-- it comes in a stiffer consistency when you buy it (perfect for beauty) and you measure it out and microwave it and it becomes the clear liquid to bake with-- .... it smells yummy, you just have to like coconut flavoring!)

******************************************************************************************


This is the new book by baby cakes I will be buying if the recipes go over well.... I will post pictures of my attempt at making them for my unsuspecting family! We will soon see what they really think! :)

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to know how it comes out! I would some day love to give up sugar and all the other stuff that is said to irritate us! But It's a pain so I need easy recipes and they have to be good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love agave nectar. I have been using it for about 8 months instead of sugar in my tea and on my peanutbutter toast instead of honey. I haven't tried it in baking yet. You'll have to let me know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete