Friday, July 9, 2010

Speaking of new cothes

I had to post this picture because in my last post I wrote about my relatives being of dairy farming roots (this is not my relative) But take a long look at this picture... It annoys me. She has dishes piled next to the sink, she does not look like she is perfectly put together, she looks like she has been working, like a normal woman would look, I am annoyed because why is it we feel pressured to look good while we do the same jobs as our ancestors did? It is hard work to raise a family, we work our butts off and it is crazy to put more stress on ourselves. I mean if you google the 1950's, 40's, 30's house wife, you will see perfect woman in the kitchen in aprons, but the truth is those images are the only ones that made it in magazines, advertising or posing for a rare picture, not everyone had a camera in those days... But in reality, they had on their Sunday best and lip stick, it is not reality, in reality they dressed to work their butts off on a daily basis, and the house was not always perfect. Woman went throught heir husbands working long hours or being gone for war, they went through financial turmoil, are there parallels there, absolutely... I'm sure there was a little preassure to look good, but they only worried about that on Sunday... I made a post of this, and I truley dont wear makeup, I dont "do" my hair and I dont get dressed up on a regular basis, what you see is what you get, I will throw on a jacket, sunglasses, lip gloss and that is me getting ready.... I just hope my 3 girls are not sucked into this false vicious quest for perfection... It's BS, just like a clean house. I admit, my house is ubber organized, I love that, but it is clean when I clean it, and dirty the second my children walk in the door with their muddy feet and terrorizing ways. Then the cycle begins again... I dont want my girls to have a horrible house, of course not, but I also want them to be ok with a dish in the sink or a shirt in the laundry... Maybe the problem is I bought into it, and that is really what annoys me, I see it's not rational to be in a race witht hings that pile up, maybe if I can come to gripes with this, it will teach the girls much better than anyhting I could say, leading by example...

2 comments:

  1. A picture can be worth a thousand words when we take the time to really look at it. I will be honost i didn't stop and really look at the pic until you said to. Very well written. I always love reading your take on things.

    ReplyDelete